Windows: Convert formatted text in clipboard to plain text
when you often have to copy some text between HTML/Browser pages, browser based content management systems, Office Documents and terminal emulators you know the problem: Text from browsers and office documents also contains format attributes like font size, fonts etc. which causes an unexpected layout or format.
For example, if you copy a text from LibreOffice to wordpress(Yes of course, you could paste the test into wordpress by using the “paste plain text” toolbar buttons. But this is one step more and I prefer Ctrl V Ctrl C for copy and paste).
I wrote a small tool which eliminates all formats from text in the clipboard. What the tool does.
- It resides in systray respective notification area
- It registers a global Hotfix, default Ctrl-S, when pressed, the text in clipboard is “unformatted”
- It has an automatic mode. If a text is copied to the clipboard, the text is immediately “unformatted” and copied back to clipboard.
- When a text is unformatted, it displays a Ballontip with the text for a few seconds.
- It converts Office double quotes „Your Text“ to double quotes used in command lines “Your Text” (replace mode), also the minus character is converted.
The tool is written in C#. Binaries (Folder \bin\Release\unformatClipboardText.exe) and Visual Studio 2013 project files are attached in the zip package below. Modify it for your own needs!
Update: V1.1 has also the ability to convert all text to upper- and lowercase.
Update: V1.2 If a valid MAC Address is found in Clipboard, unformatClipboardText can convert it to one of the following formats
this version also can remove leading and trailing spaces.
Update: V1.2.2 Its possible to switch off the Global hotkey
Update: V220.127.116.11 Its possible to disable the balloon tip on unformat
Update: V18.104.22.168 More stable
Update: v22.214.171.124 All clipboard activities can logged to a file
Update: V126.96.36.199 Only one program instance can start
Update: V188.8.131.52 Logfile can viewed within the program. Bugfixes
Update: V184.108.40.206 Logfileformat changed from UTF BOM to UTF. Logview Autoscroll can be disabled
Update: V220.127.116.11 Fixes the null pointer exception which sometimes occures