this posts describes which steps are necassary to add or repair a masstorage driver in an exiting Windows installation.
If a Windows boot ends with a bluescreen STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, the system is unable to load a driver for your disk controller properly.
It is possible to correct this and respective, if the hardware changed, to add a driver manually.
The masstorage device driver is registered in Windows at five positions:
- The Driver file (.sys) itself must be stored in %Systemroot%\system32\drivers
- The Signature file (.cat) is stored in
- The Install file (.inf) is located at %Systemroot%\inf
- The Registry Key to start the driver => the service entry
- The Registry Key to load the driver at the begin of the boot process => the CriticalDeviceDatabase
An example. Installing the Intel Rapid Storage (RST) Driver. Download the driver from the Homepage of the manufacturer, extract it and copy the files to an USB Stick or burn a cd.
Continue reading Windows. Stop 0x0000007B. How to add a mass storage driver manually